Tuesday 21 February 2017

SHORTENED VERSION OF THE VIDEO: DISTANTLY CONNECTED


This is the shortened version of the Video I made in June 2016, in which I drew my mother while she read poetry to me and we talked on Skype.

The original video is 10 minutes long, but in the shortened video I have cut back to the essence of the video, by concentrating on the parts where she read the poem by Charles Brasch "The Islands".

In these works, where I am drawing on top of the computer or television screen or projecting the image direct onto a wall I trace around the outline of the figure in movement. I do not wish to draw a realistic portrait of the subject. Instead I wish to capture the essence of the person through line and movement. The lines I draw are almost like a form of writing, as they are drawn continuously without lifting the marker from the surface. The long continuous line moves in response to the words I am hearing. 

These video pieces all grew out of a series of drawing based on the bee, in which I started to draw with a line which I imagined to be like the line a bee would trace as it flies from flower to flower through the air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment